Tuesday, February 23, 2010

An incomplete tale from the airport

I shared the hotel shuttle to the airport here in Columbus with a prospective grad student (he's currently an undergrad in Olympia, Washington). Both he and the driver were intent on having a long and detailed conversation, and well, I'm not always a fan of people. Although I know it's the polite thing to do, I really do hate meaningless small talk.* Luckily the ride was only twenty minutes, so this didn't last long.

At the airport, I got a lunch at Wendy's, which was outside security (it was either that or Starbuck's inside security), and saw this undergrad right outside the security line, with all of his luggage open and he was frantically digging through it all. Eventually, he packed it all up, talked to the guard for a few seconds, and ran back to the ticketing counters. I'm not sure what the problem was, but about ten minutes later he was back, going through, and hopefully not missing his flight. Poor kid was so terribly panicked though.
--
* Of course, that doesn't mean I'm willing to babble along endlessly about meaningless things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home