Monday, November 16, 2009

Calm down...

I've been angry for some time now, and it most recently flared after the Prop 1 fiasco in Maine a few weeks back. I should include myself in the blame of course, because I could have done something, anything to help, but I did not. That does not diffuse the anger, just makes it worse. I have not posted about it because whenever it is mentioned, or I think about it, I have to stop everything I'm doing for five minutes and fume. It's not a productive use of time.

I was raised Catholic, and up until I went to college, I really believed in the faith. In college is where I started really understanding what I truly believed and what I made myself believe, and since then I have not referred to myself as being a Christian. Do I believe in God? I don't know. I think it is just as arrogant of us to say for sure there isn't a God as it is to say there is.

When the Catholic church invited disillusioned Anglicans/Episcopalians over to Catholicism if they were angry about allowing female and openly gay priests and bishops, I felt sick. I guess it is often true that the strongest unifying force is often hatred.

Then I wake up this morning and read this on Sarahlynn's blog. I do not want to diminish the first point on abortion she makes, because that is absurd. But the second article she quotes discusses how the Catholic Diocese of DC will cut off services to the homeless in DC if gay marriage is allowed in the capital.

I know that all Catholics and all Christians are not this evil, but in two cases lately now, we have the head of the church actively discriminating and hating others, which is completely against the core values the faith supposedly has. I used to think of myself as being disillusioned with the faith, and more and more I am disgusted with it.

I think I might vomit if I say any more right now.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarahlynn said...

Sorry to wreck your morning. I'm fuming, too. Who could POSSIBLY think that was OK? Where in the bible does Jesus stop feeding the hungry because he's unhappy with local government? In fact, where does he discriminate against anyone?

I find myself frustrated by Christians (especially Catholics!) who belong to churches that do stuff like this and don't actively speak out against discriminatory practices.

November 16, 2009 at 10:18 AM 

Post a Comment

<< Home