Sunday, October 18, 2009

Up at 4am

I just got into Seoul last night, making it to my hotel by 8pm or so. The travel time was around 26 hours if you include getting to the airport in Richmond and getting to my hotel last night, so it was exhausting. Nevermind the fact that I lost a day, leaving Virginia at 7am Saturday and all of a sudden it's Sunday night.

But I stayed up for a couple of hours, and went to sleep at 10, hoping that I could sleep a ton until my alarm went off at 8. No such luck. I was awake at 4. I read for a while before finally giving up and just getting up. I seem to recall this happening last year as well, so I'll just get used to it. I know I'll be fine for my lecture today since it is (most likely) in the morning, and I'll definitely make it through the day.

The cab ride from the airport though is what I want to discuss. I felt like I was in a video game. The driver had a GPS in the car, so it was graphically displaying where we were. It also measured (or displayed after getting it from the car) the speed we were traveling. This is all well and good, but it kept making blinging noises, and at one point, I saw we were accelerating. Once the car hit 100 km/h, the GPS went crazy and I felt like we just got a bonus and have moved up a level. It was rather distracting and the entire hour-long ride, I was fixated on it.

Incidentally I am not sure why the driver had the GPS. He didn't use it to find the hotel, he had a crumpled piece of paper that had directions on it. At least I assume that was the case because a) the GPS never indicated where he was supposed to go and b) every ten minutes he'd turn on the inside light and look at this piece of paper.

Two more hours until breakfast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home