Saturday, November 7, 2009

And back home

So I've got over an hour in the Vancouver airport before I head out. This will be a long day of traveling, as I get to fly to Seattle, then Dallas, then Richmond. The only benefit of this journey is that I was able to get an upgrade to first class on the last flight, from DFW to Richmond. Sometimes always flying on the same airline has benefits (even if I really can't stand American at times).

My (short) trip to Vancouver was uneventful. I arrived, and the workshop lasted for two days with eight talks (one of which was mine). It was low key and relaxed, but still was somewhat exhausting. My talk went just fine, but I was very much out of place in the midst of the other talks. In the end I won't complain, but it was a little odd. I think everyone else realized it too, but whatever.

It's always odd going to Canada. I like it, but it's not like going to any other country, because in so many ways it's exactly like the US. All of the (non-political) differences are so minor but noticeable. It feels like a dream, or like an alternate version of the US. I only wish I had a little more time to see the city. This is my second time in Vancouver, and I still haven't made it downtown.

One thing that I realized before coming here is that I have to get more visa pages for my passport! I never even thought I would have to, but I only have like 1 full page left, and four more years before it expires. I'm kind of excited about this, just because it seems like I've won some sort of prize.

Yeah, simple pleasures for simple minds.

1 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Ann said...

ooo... very exciting to have to get more pages in your passport. I still keep telling myself that I need to get my passport. One of these days...

November 7, 2009 at 8:18 PM 

Post a Comment

<< Home