Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Small town

I have talked about this a lot, but the 'burg here is a pretty small town. Every time we go out for Vietnamese food* we tend to run into the man (Scott) who owns the coffee shop on campus that I go to every day. We also run into him at Trader Joe's, or the Japanese restaurant we frequent.

I see cars all over town that I recognize, either because they live in my apartment complex or just because I've seen them often. It's not surprising when we run into people while shopping. We ran into Kostas and Lily months ago at the Outlets, and Andre and Erin at Blockbuster (in addition to other professors).

The other day as I was biking home from a coffee shop (not the one on campus) and heard some honking as I rode through an intersection, and there were Kostas and Lily, at the light, waving to me. This is something I will miss about this place to some extent, because I do enjoy running into people (usually). Of course, New York is very similar, as much as people don't believe it. When I lived there before, I would run into people I knew all the time on the streets. Of course, usually (but not always) it was in the neighborhood we lived in (which was also where Columbia was), so it's not surprising.

Of course, on a completely unrelated subject, right now I'm still waiting for the paperwork for my new job, because there is a ton of red tape to get through before I can have my contract to sign, so I'm antsy. It makes me want to check the mail every five minutes, as stupid as that is. Of course, it doesn't help that since we've been in the new building, the mail comes at random times during the day. Before, you knew that by lunch, the mail was always there. This is no longer the case.
---
* Yes, a small town with a fantastic Vietnamese restaurant!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home