Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Just have to wait

So I just talked with the departmental secretary in New York, and well, I can't tell whether or not I'm happy. The basic issue is that I have to find a place to live there, and was spoiled when I was there before (considering my previous institution, let's call it OU for Old U, there owns about four million blocks of housing that they rent to affiliates). There is apparently a housing office at my future university home ("NU"), and I was told before that they help faculty get off-site housing.

This is not exactly the truth, although it's not a lie. They have a list of landlords nearby. Now, the list at OU was not quite useful, from everything I've heard, and I have yet to receive this list from NU. (Apparently it takes longer for emails to travel on days that end in "y".) So I'm not sure if it's going to be helpful or just a big pain. It makes me not look forward to going up there to find a new home.

What makes it a little more stressful is that this is a more long term place, ideally. It of course all depends on when C can get a job in the city, because I imagine we'll get a new place then, but I will want to be a little more picky about it since I won't want to move every year for the next umpteen years.

Well, in three months all of this will be over, and I'll just have a whole new set of complaints.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home