Monday, January 18, 2010

It takes years to development this lack of caring

So Dante somehow injured himself yesterday, sometime around noon. All we know is that he couldn't put weight on his front right leg, and was limping. My initial response was mild concern, while Corbett was more worried. I did my fully professional examination of his leg, and saw no cuts, swelling, or other sign of injury. He didn't seem to get hurt if I squeezed it and as far as I can tell it wasn't broken.

So I brushed it off, saying he'd be fine in a few minutes. Well, it lasted much longer than that, so much that when I brought him out four hours later, I had to carry him down the stairs. (And up them.) Corbett was very worried, and I was growing concern until later when midnight came around and he happily limped down the stairs to go out.

This morning he was still limping a little, but he could jump with no problem and was (sort of) bounding about outside. He'll be fine, thankfully, but it's amazing how little I really was worried. I felt terrible because he was clearly in some pain and unhappy, and wanted me to do something, which I couldn't.

If this had happened in the first couple of months when I got him, the story would have been very different. Now, after nearly eight years, I think I need to see a lot of blood to start to really worry.

I guess that's good?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home