Monday, June 8, 2009

Bike ride

Sarahlynn posted about a tiring biking adventure this weekend, so I thought I'd do the same.

This was the first weekend we could both get on our bikes (well, we switched, and I rode Corbett's to try it out since his is brand new, and he rode mine), and have a nice Sunday afternoon bike ride. We were ambitious in our plans, as it involved riding from our place through the Colonial 'burg, onto the Colonial Parkway to Jamestown (note that is already something like 12 miles), then up around the entire area to Waller Mill Park (where I sometimes bring Dante) and back. This whole trip would have been around 30 miles, and ha ha! I haven't gone biking in a while. I've biked to work (not for a while, but most of last fall I did), but that's 3.5 miles each way, and each portion of that journey is broken up by me sitting down "working."

Plus, the Parkway is extremely hilly, and has a very gravelly road, so you definitely have to work a lot harder to keep going. So I got wiped. We made it about five miles, stopping just past "Halfway Creek," and turning back. It was a wise decision, but at least it meant we went about ten miles. It's a good start, and I think for now the lesson for me is to stay on paved roads for a while, just to be able to make it farther. Either way, though, it was a nice ride, and the weather was perfect for it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarahlynn said...

When I first got on my rented bike, I felt like an idiot. I was a little wobbly until I figured out how to work the gears. I remembered how hard bike riding can be, but I'd forgotten how FUN it is.

My little 10k ride is lame beside your 10 miles!

June 8, 2009 at 1:49 PM 

Post a Comment

<< Home