Tuesday, May 26, 2009

What I hate about moving

You know, packing isn't all that fun, but it's not a big deal with moving. I was talking to Corbett last night and realized what I hate most about moving is the return to a generic living space.

I removed all of my wall hangings yesterday, and the place has become bare. (And echo-y in the bedroom, which is really annoying.) I realized how weird it is when you move in and out of a place. I thought of all of the apartments I've moved in and out of. There was the apartment I lived in for three months in Oklahoma, my place in Dallas, three in St. Louis, one in New York and now this one.

That last step out is always strangely sad and exciting at the same time. Well, in New York it was weirder because I wasn't going far: I was just moving two floors up for the rest of the summer at Corbett's before moving to the 'burg. I always look at the apartment and realize that this was "my own place" but really it's generic. And the same really goes for houses, although those generally have more character already in them before you move in. But apartments are usually short-term places for people, and thus designed to be generic.

It's just strange that one moment a place feels like home and the next, it is no different than anything else. It's making the last night I'm sleeping here* a bit sad and strange, and even weirder because I'll be moving into a new place which is identical but with an extra bedroom. That we're going to make "ours."

---
* Okay, I'm sleeping here Friday night as well, if you want to be precise. But Corbett will be here and I probably won't sleep well considering the amount of work we have in store for us Saturday.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Reunited, and it feeeeels so goooooood...

May 26, 2009 at 12:07 PM 

Post a Comment

<< Home