Friday, August 8, 2008

The phone

Chris and Sonya are both major phone talkers, and when combined with me, it can lead to a long conversation. I am in no way complaining, but I find so many people I know are not phone people nowadays. Quite a few people, when I'm on the phone with them, are nervous. Anxious. Awkward. (Okay, many of these people are physicists, but whatever.) The worst is the end of the call. Saying goodbye to some people can be nerve-wracking.

I have to say the best phone person for saying goodbye is Dustin. I'm really kind of bad, myself, because I always say a bunch of things. But I have gotten better. Why is Dustin the best? Because he makes saying goodbye on the phone like it is in the movies.

Me: Alright, I gotta go.
Him: Okay, bye, click.

No fuss, no muss. With others, say family, it's often:

Me: Alright, I should let you go.
Them: Okay, well you have a good night.
Me: You too.
Them: Oh, you know, I forgot to mention [insert new long topic here].
Me: Oh, that's interesting, but I really have to get going.
Them: Mmm-kay, love you.
Me: Love you too, goodnight.
Them: You too, don't let the bedbugs bite! [Incidentally, this is not a thing to joke about due to the outbreak of bedbugs in New York, and thus can be often a severe household fear even though we've never been stricken with them. It is also the first thing C checks for when we're at a hotel, just FYI. And anyway, who says this anymore?]
Me: I won't, bye.
Them: Buh-bye, behave yourself.
Me: You too, goodnight.
Them: Goodnight.
Me: Click

And that's a short one.

1 Comments:

Blogger Aunt So-So said...

Me: Prince Harry is cuter than Prince William. Who do you think I should read next, David Searis or...
You: I don't know if this should be a paper or an article. I love J-lab...
Me: So I'll get you that memo shortly. What's your extension again?
You: Someone's in there, huh?
Me: You too. Okay, bye.

August 8, 2008 at 1:52 PM 

Post a Comment

<< Home