Friday, June 19, 2009

DC can kill ya

Our journey to DC was simultaneously a lot of fun and exceedingly tiring. We got up at 6:30 to get ready and go, and made it to IKEA (in Woodbridge, not far from DC) shortly before they opened, so we could walk around the showroom before the Marketplace opened. After a few, but not enough to get a joyful feeling out of being at IKEA, purchases, we headed up to the Capital.

Once there I dropped the C-man off on the Mall while I headed to Georgetown, to the Chinese Visa Office. Of course, even though we wanted to pay the extra fees for getting the visas back the same day, they wouldn't, so someone else will have to go up there to pick them up (I won't, because I dropped them off for three of us, so someone else can now make the drive). The good news with that though is that I could then go back to the Mall, meet up with Corbett, and enjoy the rest of the day.

We went to lunch, then to the Smithsonian museum of American History. I have to say I was very disappointed. The museum was not laid out in a way that made anything interesting, and I usually find history interesting. They had some exhibits that were just bad (and terribly misleading when I looked at the science-related ones), but whatever. Alison met up with us there and we wandered the museum for a while before going on the monumental death march.

That's right, we walked to all the monuments. Washington, Lincoln, Jefferson, and by far the best and newest, the FDR monument. This is where Corbett fell in love with FDR:



After all that, we had dinner and parted ways with Alison. It was great to see her and sadly I'm not sure when I'll make it back to StL to visit, but alas. Good times were had by all. We left around 9 and made it home before midnight, where an excited dog greeted us, after he had been so gloriously cared for by Miss Sonya. He didn't realize, and we haven't told him, about our run-in with this squirrel:



Very tame squirrel, and a little too interested in us. I think he wanted food and we eventually had to run away before he attacked. After this picture was taken he turned towards us and started talking, moving closer, and then we ran. That's right. We ran from a squirrel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home