Sunday, May 3, 2009

Bernay!

I finally called my best friend from high school yesterday, after not talking to her for like, a year or something. She wasn't home but called me back this morning, and we talked for two-and-a-half hours.

This is the friend I've had for the longest time, we've known each other for 18 years, and I think we've been through the most together. We have definitely had moments of joy, hatred, anger, pain, glee, and everything. I know I went through moments wondering if we'd ever be friends again, and other moments wondering how I could ever live without her in my life. I definitely wish we lived closer (she's back in Maine, married with fifteen cats*), but at least we still (try to) keep in touch.

And after about three minutes on the phone it was as if we had never lost contact. This is what I consider a real friendship. And in the last two weeks, it was as if I was being told to call her. I don't believe in a god or in fate or anything, but there were definitely more things than normal that reminded me of my "Bernay" (her name is Bernie, but of course we had to always call her Bernay, where the second syllable was lengthened to an absurd degree).

1.) The song, "Semi-Charmed Life," from Third Eye Blind came on the radio two separate times, and they played the full version, where only the words "Crystal Meth" were editted.

2.) I saw multiple beer trucks, VW bugs, and padiddles on the streets, which isn't unusual, but I also saw a Gold Saturn. This means nothing to most people, but many of our car games involved the first sighting of all these things.

3.) I discussed wrapping paper (or rather, not using it at all, after being given the gift of a Snuggie from Sonya and Chris...that's right, I'll never be cold again and I can still answer the phone!), and while I forgot to tell the story, I was reminded of how I used to wrap all of Bernie's gifts in many layers of contact paper.

Okay, so that's it, and most of those things are just normal things that happen all the time, but obviously it was relevant for me, as I was feeling guilty for not calling her in so long.

---
* Married to a man, and they have fifteen cats...she's not married to fifteen cats.

1 Comments:

Blogger Aunt So-So said...

Thank GOD you clarified that, because I actually thought she was married to 15 cats.

May 4, 2009 at 9:52 AM 

Post a Comment

<< Home