Wednesday, April 22, 2009

"He just wrote it..."

So I never mentioned going to see In the Heights...We went on Saturday night, after successfully winning the lottery drawing they have for $26.50 tickets (front row, which is nice but not as ideal as one would imagine, considering the angle you're at). The show was good (eerily like Rent, but instead of poor homeless people and people with AIDS in the East Village, it was poor Latinos in Washington Heights), and it was a fun evening.

What was weird though, was while we were in line to get the tickets we won, the girl in front of us started talking to us about how good the show was and all that. Two things she said with regards to the guy who wrote the musical have stuck in my mind.

Her: "It's so great that he wrote this, and when you hear the story about him writing this, you can't help but think it's amazing."

Us: "Really, what's the story behind it?"

Her: "He just wanted to write it, and he did!" (first thing to stick in our heads)

Us: "Oh."

Her: "I mean, he's like, my age!" (second thing)

First of all, what an amazing story about the guy who wrote the musical. (I do think there may be more to the story.) Secondly, I don't know how old she is, but Jesus, the author (Lin-Manuel Miranda) is 29, just a few years younger than me and about Corbett's age, so shut the hell up, Miss "I think I'm all that!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home