Wednesday, April 29, 2009

I had something...

You know, I had an idea this morning when I woke up way too early to write about. For once, I thought, I could write about something real instead of just the daily mudane happenings in my life. Alas, that is not going to be the case, as I cannot remember what it was. Of course, there is plenty of other things to discuss, such as the swine flu.

But first, I will muse on how it feels when Dante is not around. I dropped him off this morning for a teeth cleaning (yeah, his teeth are as bad as mine), but it was too early to go to the office, so I came home and slept a little more (20 more minutes), and now I'm preparing to go in. But it's weird because although Dante makes little noise at home, and when he's not, I feel like he's a much noisier dog. I think it's because he does like to move from place to place for where he naps, so there's those little noises which are gone, that one never notices. Kind of like the days after 9/11/2001, when no planes were flying, and we realized that we were used to the quiet jets soaring through the upper atmosphere.

But on to the swine flu. Could this be made any more hyped than it is? I mean, the panic here is worse than SARS, avian flu, and west nile virus...Oh yes, and mad cow. I know people are dying (and the first US death happened finally), but with the number of deaths in Mexico, as Jon Stewart put it, "it is the least likeliest thing in Mexico to kill you." I know it's nothing new, but I think the media is being way too irresponsible here. I understand it is something we should be aware of, but you know, the regular flu can kill. From the CDC website, "about 36,000 people die from flu-related causes", and that is just normal, ol', run-of-the-mill influenza. Get some perspective, people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home