Thursday, June 24, 2010

Who wants to do real work?

I've become distracted and somewhat obsessed as of late. It was something that started last fall but was in the back of my mind (and thankfully so, as I probably would not have done so well in the job search) until recently. The primary motivation of this is the iPad I just bought.

What is it? Well, I have started going through these lectures on iTunesU about how to develop apps for the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad. (This is a class that is taught very regularly at Stanford.) Right now all I want to do is go through all of the assignments and lectures and really, do nothing else.

What's nice about the class is that it is for more beginners in the way of programming, so they are super basic and I can just fly right through them. I'm getting more out of just doing the homeworks. Yes, I'm doing the homeworks. After I'm finished with this I will have developed four basic, mundane, apps, and hopefully be ready to do something on my own.

And yes, I have lost pretty much all motivation to actually work, even though I am still getting things done. The problem is that it's summer, so it's hot outside. No one is in the department, making it feel odd to work. I don't want to publish anything this summer, as it will not have my new university listed as my affiliation (and it's all about tenure now), and well, this is really a lot of fun! I'm learning a new programming language (which is extremely similar to what I already know), and I'm creating graphical interfaces which I have never done before.

I know, you're all jealous. And you should be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home