Monday, June 30, 2008

German birthday

So yesterday was Corbett's birthday (29 for those counting). We didn't do much but clean as his mother arrives tomorrow afternoon. We did a little shopping and went to dinner at Das Wald Cafe, a German restaurant in Newport News. This was a very very last minute decision (we had another place in mind but this came up and we figured we wanted to try it).

Now, this is the second German place we've tried in the area. The first was Eckhardt's, which I posted about a while ago (too lazy to link to the old post). That got two thumbs up from us but not Missy and Trey, who are fans of Das Wald Cafe. Sonya and Chris for the first time tried DWC (they were fans of Eckhardt's) a couple weeks ago and were not fans. So what about us, you might be wondering, "What do you like, Christopher?" (Or you might be wondering why in God's name am I blathering on about this, and to that I say shut up, because dammit I was an Army brat and I love German food so I will blather as much as I want.)

I have to say, Eckhardt's was by far a better establishment. The food here was fine, but they used canned mushrooms on the Jägerschnitzel, the Wiener Schnitznel was okay but a little tough (for veal, at least), and the spätzel was also not the greatest. That said, it is a lot closer than Eckhardt's, and definitely cheap, so I would go back there, but not with the folks.

2 Comments:

Blogger Aunt So-So said...

I wouldn't say that we weren't fans of DWC, I just liked my food way better at Eckhardt's. My portion of meat was small at DWC and I can never finish a meal at Eckhardt's. The friggin' BEST ever is Edelweiss in Staunton. Die ist gute Nahrung.

June 30, 2008 at 11:07 AM 
Blogger Melinda said...

Happy late b-day Corbett!

June 30, 2008 at 1:18 PM 

Post a Comment

<< Home