Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Return

I am back from Mainz, as many people may already know. Laurie was here when I returned, and we had a great time (even though she and Corbett bonded a little too much in my absence). There were colonial ghost stories and colonial meals, movies and television watching (such as two BSG episodes!!), and probably not enough sleeping on Laurie's part. This is pretty much standard for whenever I visit her or vice versa, and it is definitely 100% my fault. I have no guilt or shame however, as I fear she sometimes plans to sleep her life away. I'm just doing a good deed.

One thing we all did while she was here that really was fantastic was to take a tour of the 'burg Winery. I know, I know, you're thinking, "Virginia wine?! That must taste like pure southern garbage!" In fact, the few wines from there we've tasted have been at best tolerable (and well, cheap). But the tour was eight bucks a person, and we got the equivalent of two glasses of wine (at least) to taste at the end. And I have got to tell you, there were some wines that were just fantastic! So we are going to probably bring Corbett's mom on the reserve wine tour ($30 per, but all the best wines they've got!), and see what else they have to offer. Also, we got to keep the wine glasses which is useful since we keep breaking ours.

The last day (yesterday) of Laurie's presence involved us driving her the three hours to her la-de-da university where she gets to teach "smart" high school students. Except for Corbett's addiction to a new game on my iPod (in other words, the trip down was great but after dropping Laurie off I got to spend three hours essentially alone in the car), this was a fun journey to visit a town much cheaper than the 'burg. After that however, I was wiped and barely got out of bed to get to work this morning.

And Sonya, I can't believe you were upset with the postcard you begged me to send.

2 Comments:

Blogger Laurie K said...

I am like a sloth. I need much sleep.

June 11, 2008 at 5:46 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you know that Williamsburg Winery is the largest in Virginia? There are 145 wineries in Virginia and most are mom and pop type operations that do not have a fee to taste their award winning wines. Since the early 80's when wine production got going again in Virginia the quality has improved due to efforts to grow grape varieties worthy of fine wine. The old reputation for wine in Virginia was based on grapes containing a multitude of bizarre flavors. Glad you took a wine tour and I hope you enjoy touring some of the wine trails like the one on Virginia's Northern Neck.

June 12, 2008 at 9:56 AM 

Post a Comment

<< Home