Saturday, November 15, 2008

Doctor Atomic at the Met

I'm such a good boyfriend. On the night Christopher drove eight hours to New York through the pouring rain to see me, how did I thank him? By dragging him to a 3.5-hour-long, 21st-century minimalist opera about the atomic bomb. And here's the best part: we had standing room tickets. (N.B. If it's any consolation, I apologized profusely throughout the night, and Christopher was very forgiving).

The opera, however, was fantastic, despite our aching legs, and I'm really glad we went (I've wanted to see this ever since it first premiered in San Francisco two years ago). It was written by John Adams, and it takes place at Los Alamos lab on the night the first nuclear bomb was tested. The libretto is a compilation of letters and transcripts of meetings between Oppenheimer, fellow scientists, and U.S. Generals. Needless to say, some of the dialogue is less-than-riveting, but I think Christopher got a kick out of all the physics talk (at one point the chorus sings, "The thirty-two points are the centers of the twenty triangular faces of an icosahedron interwoven with the twelve pentagonal faces of a dodecahedron.") The fantastic music made up for any deficiencies in the text, and the set was awesome:


Apparently, Oppenheimer was also brilliant beyond physics: he spoke four languages, could read at least six more, and learned Sanskrit just so he could read the Bhagavad Gita in its original version. He was also a great lover of poetry, and much of the opera's libretto consists of random poetry he knew. Here's a link to the stunningly beautiful aria that ends Act I, "Batter my heart," a setting of a poem by John Donne (apparently the Trinity test site where the first bomb went off was named after the "three-personed god" from this poem). Check it out for the amazing music, if anything:



"Batter my heart, three-personed God, for you
As yet but knock, breathe, shine, and seek to mend;
That I may rise and stand, o'erthrow me, and bend
Your force to break, blow, burn, and make me new.
I, like an usurped town, to another due,
Labor to admit you, but O, to no end.
Reason, your viceroy in me, me should defend,
But is captived, and proves weak or untrue.
Yet dearly I love you, and would be loved fain,
But am betrothed unto your enemy;
Divorce me, untie, or break that knot again,
Take me to you, imprison me, for I,
Except you enthrall me, never shall be free,
Nor ever chaste, except you ravish me."

3 Comments:

Blogger Laurie K said...

I heard an interview with some of the creators of this opera on Science Friday and wanted to ask if you saw it! Awesome. It sounds very cool.

November 16, 2008 at 11:01 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard something about this opera a few years ago (perhaps when it premiered), and it sounded very cool. How awesome that you got to see it!

November 16, 2008 at 5:17 PM 
Blogger Topher said...

Deficiencies in the libretto? Um, I think the subject matter made up for any deficiencies in the music!

Actually, I rather enjoyed the music, so...The three hour standing was to prepare me for my combined 16-hour flight to Seoul.

November 16, 2008 at 8:09 PM 

Post a Comment

<< Home