Wednesday, November 5, 2008

One quick bitterness...

I won't go into my feelings with regard to California. I will just include this blog link, with this excerpt from it:

Symbolism matters to disenfranchised people in a way that is hard to explain to those of us who always knew we could be anything we want to be in America. Forget president. Gay people can’t even be spouses, though Britney Spears could have her umpteenth marriage tomorrow just by stumbling into a quickie Vegas chapel. Scott Peterson has the legal right to marry on death row after murdering his wife and unborn child. No matter how undeserved, straight people never lose the right to marry; no matter how worthy, gay people cannot earn it. Except in Massachusetts and Connecticut which, bless them, seem to be sticking to their pro-gay marriage court rulings.



I look at this day with hope, with joy in our election of this new president. I will not allow the California ruling to fill my soul with bitterness and anger, feelings that have tainted a spectacular election otherwise. We will overcome this obstacle, and the one thing that keeps me going is that while progress can and will always be held back, one can never fight it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry that California is so stupid.

November 5, 2008 at 8:09 PM 
Blogger Corbett said...

I know, I am devastated about California. It's going to put gay rights back to where they were 20 years ago in that state. But I have to say that this election has moved me to tears many times since Tuesday night, and not once out of sadness, not once over California. Seeing all of those people in Grant Park, young and old, straight and gay, black, white, asian, hispanic, middle eastern, was so inspiring, so breathtaking. I was proud to be an American, even if was embarrassed to be a Californian. Hearing Obama's speech about what a long struggle it has been for this moment to happen only reminded me of the challenges gay people still have to face. The only thing to do now is just keep trying...

November 6, 2008 at 1:16 PM 

Post a Comment

<< Home