Thursday, August 27, 2009

Watch out

Debugging code is always fun. Well, by "fun," I mean "not fun." As anyone who does this regularly knows, writing a new code or editting old code can very rarely work perfectly on the first try. Usually though, there are millions of little bugs here and there that just make it a big pain.

So I try to avoid writing code if I can help it. Being in a highly numerical field, this is a challenge, but I've gotten pretty good at avoiding many things in my life. Right now though, the code I'm working on is rather frustrating, especially because I have no real clue what I'm doing. Additionally, I'm not sure how useful it will be, and so I could just be wasting my time.

Why do I talk about this? Well, I just spent the last half hour trying to find why my code was failing. Turns out that when I wrote some new code to replace the old, I did not erase the old. But since I wasn't paying any attention, the code failed over and over again while I kept trying to pinpoint the error. Now it runs but still doesn't work.

Can you tell it's not the most productive day?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home