Thursday, August 20, 2009

Oil

We went to get my car's oil changed yesterday (always an exciting adventure), and there was an additional thing the dealership had to do. Apparently there was an open recall on some "stop light switch" or something (a part that I gathered essentially controled the brake light when you slowed down), so it took a noticeable amount of time. Corbett came with because the dealership is in Newport News, and we went to get more supplies from our new favorite store (Michael's).

While in the waiting room, I tried to get some work done*, while Corbett worked on a test swatch for the afghan he wants to make. After much time without anyone talking to us, this woman marveled at Corbett, saying that she could never figure out how to knit. She crochets, sews, and makes quilts, but no knitting. This began a long conversation (that only ended when my car was ready) about us knitting, and quickly moving on to healthcare (this woman was smart and supported the reform with the public option), music, teaching, etc. You name it, it was discussed.

I have to say though I was surprised, because she was first of all very nice (that's not surprising, there are a lot of nice people around), but also because she was intelligent.** I was most surprised when, after she said she was a music teacher, and Corbett said he studied music history, she said, "Oh! Musicology!" And she actually knew something about it.

So the last thirty or forty minutes of waiting for the car to be ready passed more quickly because of this rather pleasant distraction.

---
* Note the word "tried." I failed miserably and ended up just wasting the time away. I should have done what Corbett did.

** It seems as of late that strangers who have come up to me to strike up a conversation have not quite been so intelligent, I'm not sure why.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home